SEO is a great way to drive traffic to your site. In order for you to have an effective SEO strategy, you need to write and create a lot of great content on your website.
How can you create high-quality content? Build a loyal audience. Then, produce content that teaches people everything you know. While you’re doing this, optimize your site and content for SEO as well.
Take note: if we will cover the ins and outs of SEO, it might take us three to seven books to do this!
To learn more about SEO, we recommend you check out these resources:
One specific SEO strategy that we want to talk about is the Exact Match Domain Bonus.
You want to get more traffic, leads, and customers both in the short-term and the long run for your business, right?
Here are four steps so you can effectively use the Exact Match Domain Bonus:
- For your domain, pick a search query that has a lot of searches each month.
- Choose a search query that your target customers will actually search for.
- Think about your target customers: how would they search for a product like yours? (Note: Customer development interviews and target market research will help you to think in this way).
- Don’t pick a domain that has an exact match for a long tail search query. Using http://www.learnhowtocodecontrollersinrails (not a real webpage) for the search query “learn how to code controllers in rails” will not help you much as this is not searched very often.
- For specific search queries and long-tail search queries, it’s best to try to rank for these queries by producing content that includes the long-tail search queries (especially in the title of the content) and provides lots of value to people.
- To research how much traffic certain search queries get each month, use the function titled “Get search volume for a list of keywords or group them into ad groups” in Google’s Keyword Planner.
- Only use the exact match domain bonus when picking your product’s domain if:
- you can find an available .COM, .NET, or .ORG domain that relates to your product’s industry and,
- your chosen search query has a high monthly search volume of more than 25,000 to 50,000 searches per month.
- After doing steps 1-3, start using that domain and start building links to it. After you get some links to your site with an exact match domain, eventually, your site will rank number one in Google for the search query that matches your domain.
Though the exact match domain bonus still has the potential to be a helpful strategy, there is some evidence
that points to a decrease in its effectiveness over the past few years. If you can't find a domain for your company that exactly matches a search query with a high volume of searches, then you should probably choose a name and domain for your company that you can turn and build into a unique brand. Also, if you can't find a domain for your company that exactly matches a high-volume search query, then you should focus much more on other SEO strategies, which is a good thing to do anyway.
This is the strategy that Patrick McKenzie used to get a lot of traffic and customers for his businesses Bingo Card Creator and Appointment Reminder. The Exact Match Bonus is that if you own the exact .COM, .NET, or .ORG top level domain for a particular search query, it’ll be much easier for you to rank in the number one spot at this query.
For instance, Patrick uses the domain http://www.bingocardcreator.com for his product Bingo Card Creator. So, Patrick gets an enormous SEO advantage for the search query “Bingo Card Creator” in Google, Bing, and other search engines.
For Appointment Reminder, Patrick uses the domain http://www.appointmentreminder.org, which gives Patrick a huge boost and advantage for the search query “appointment reminder”.
When looking for a domain and a name for your product, consider the Exact Match Domain Bonus. If you use this effectively, the reward will be a big boost in traffic. Ultimately, you’ll get more and more initial customers and customers in the long run.
- The exact match domain bonus is an SEO technique that can help drive lots of search traffic to your site and help you get more customers.
- The technique is that a .COM, .ORG, or .NET domain will have an easier time getting the top search result in ranking as the top search result in search engines for the search query that exactly matches the domain.
- To get the full benefit of this technique, find a domain name that matches a search query with a lot of monthly search volume.